He may be a mean one, but we wouldn’t want Christmas without him. He’s just misunderstood and, besides, he’s hilarious and these Grinch quotes are the proof in the Who-Pudding.
First released in 1957, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss is one of the best children’s books ever written. Then came the 1966 TV special and the 2000 film starring none other than Jim Carrey as The Grinch.
The story may be funny and heartfelt, but it also delivers a rather poignant message about loneliness and capitalism.
Not everyone loves the Jim Carrey version, but us? We love it. It’s hilarious and no one could have done it better than him.
And honestly? The Grinch is hella relatable. He loathes nosy kids, he enjoys some dark humor, and he’s cranky. He is us.
Funny Grinch Quotes
1. “Hate, hate, hate. Double hate. Loathe entirely.” — The Grinch
2. “If you utter so much as one syllable, I’LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND GUT YOU LIKE A FISH! If you’d like to fax me, press the star key.” — The Grinch
3. “HELP ME…I’m FEELING.” — The Grinch
4. “Saving you, is that what you think I was doing? Wrong-o. I merely noticed that you’re improperly packaged, my dear.” — The Grinch
5. “One man’s toxic sludge is another man’s potpourri.” — The Grinch
6. “What is that stench? It’s fantastic.” — The Grinch
7. “Stupid. Ugly. Out of date. This is ridiculous. If I can’t find something nice to wear I’m not going.” — The Grinch
8. “4:00, wallow in self-pity. 4:30, stare into the abyss. 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one. 5:30, jazzercize; 6:30, dinner with me. I can’t cancel that again. 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing. I’m booked. Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9, I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness.” — The Grinch
9. “Somebody’s fabulous!” — The Grinch
10. “Holiday who-be what-ee?” — The Grinch
11. “Am I just eating because I’m bored?” — The Grinch
12. “Cute kid, bad judge of character.” — The Grinch
13. “It’s because I’m green, isn’t it?” — The Grinch
14. “And they’ll feast, feast, feast, feast. They’ll eat their Who-Pudding and rare Who-Roast Beast. But that’s something I just cannot stand in the least. Oh, no. I’m SPEAKING IN RHYME!” — The Grinch
15. “Hate, hate, hate, Hate, hate, hate. Double hate. Loathe entirely.” — The Grinch
16. “The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote: Stink, stank, stunk!” — The Grinch
17. “Well done, Max! Serves them right, those yuletide-loving…sickly-sweet, nog-sucking cheer mongers! I really don’t like ’em. Mm-mm. No, I don’t.” — The Grinch
18. “Today was great! We did mean things, and we did them in style.” — The Grinch
19. “Those Whos are hard to frazzle, Max. But, we did our worst, and that’s all that matters.” — The Grinch
20. “All right, you’re a reindeer. Here’s your motivation: Your name is Rudolph, you’re a freak with a red nose, and no one likes you. Then, one day, Santa picks you and you save Christmas.” — The Grinch
21. “I specifically bought enough food to last me until January. How much emotional eating have I been doing?” — The Grinch
Wholesome Grinch Quotes
22. “Santa, don’t forget the Grinch. I know he’s mean and hairy and smelly, and his hands are cold and clammy, but I think he’s kinda… sweet.” — Cindy Lou Who
24. “Maybe Christmas (he thought) doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more.” — The Grinch
25. “I am the Grinch that stole Christmas, and I’m… sorry.” — The Grinch
26. “No matter how different a Who may appear, he will always be welcomed with holiday cheer.” — Cindy Lou Who
27. “I’m all toasty inside. And I’m leaking.” — The Grinch
28. “Your daughter’s kindness changed my life.” — The Grinch
29. “And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch’s small heart grew three sizes that day.” — Dr. Seuss (How The Grinch Stole Christmas! and its adaptations most famous line)